Frequently Asked Questions
Laser Hair Removal Treatments
Purity MedSpa & Wellness uses the most advanced FDA cleared laser technology for long lasting hair reduction, safely and effectively treating all ethnic origins and skin types including tanned skin. Our Medical Director Dr. Sam Michaels, M.D., supervises all laser hair removal treatments.
- Laser energy is absorbed by the pigment in the hair follicle while your hair is in its “Anagen” or Active phase of growth. The laser light is converted into heat, causing thermal damage to the follicle without harming the surrounding tissue. Hair re-growth is impeded in the damaged follicle
- Only 30% or less of your hair may be in the “Anagen” or active phase at any one time depending on the body area. Thus, a series of treatments will be required to achieve the long-term improvement you desire. These treatments are spaced approximately 4 – 12 weeks apart, based on hair growth cycles. Our extensive experience tells us that you can expect to need from 3 – 8 treatments (4 – 6 is average) to each treatment area for long lasting optimal results
- Sessions for an upper lip or small bikini area can take as little as 15 minutes, while larger areas on back and legs may require up to 45 minutes
- Absolutely NO Sun (30 minutes or longer in the Sun) on the treatment areas Three (3) days prior to your treatment
- Apply SPF 30 (or higher degree like 45 or 50) Sun Blocker to treatment areas that are exposed to the sun. You may improve your results by limiting exposure to the Sun, Tanning Beds or Tanning Lotions for Four (4) weeks prior to treatment
- Come to your appointment with CLEAN SKIN on the treatment area – NO Make-Up, Lotions or Self-Tanners
- Do NOT Wax, Tweeze or have Electrolysis for Four (4) weeks prior to treatment
- Do NOT use Retin-A or Glycolics for T
hree (3) days prior to treatment
- Do NOT use Hair Removal Lotions or Hair Bleaching products for Four (4) weeks prior to treatment
- Tell us if you have taken Accutane in the past Six (6) months or are planning to begin taking Accutane
- Shave the treatment area 1-3 days prior to treatment;
- Apply SPF 30 (or higher degree like 45 or 50) Sun Blocker on all treated areas that may be exposed to the Sun
- Shaving or using Clippers are the only acceptable methods of hair removal Between Treatments
- Treatment area should be gently Washed Twice (2) per day with Tepid Water and a Cleanser (preferred especially on the face) or mild soap
- Do NOT expose the treated area to the Sun for prolonged periods for One (1) week post treatment
- Do NOT use Retin-A or Glycolics for F
ive (5) days post treatment
- Cold Compresses may be applied to reduce redness & swelling
- Apply 1% Hydrocortisone Cream or Ointment in a thin layer after Cold Compresses
- Please call us if you experience persistent pain or blistering
- LHR Treatments above the Collar Bone Must be every Four (4) weeks for best results
- LHR Treatments on the Body Must be every Six (6) weeks for best results
What is Botulinum Toxin?
- Brow of forehead lines.
- Wrinkles or “Crow’s Feet” around the eyes.
- Since 1980’s, this chemical has been safely used to treat medical conditions, such as uncontrolled blinking and muscle spasms. In 2002, Botox was approved for use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a cosmetic treatment to correct visible signs of stress and aging. Literally thousands of people receive these treatments each day. In our practice, this treatment is in high demand by our patients who wish to look and feel refreshed and more confident
- Some patients state the treatment is “pain free” while others may experience only minor discomfort. Because your facial muscles are small, we use a very fine needle to inject a tiny amount of material into the area where you want to erase wrinkles and lines. Depending on the depth of your lines, multiple injections may be needed.
- Softer, smoother skin
- Wide-eyed expression
- Refreshed look
- Smiles without “Crow’s Feet”
- Relaxed frown and worry lines
- Safe, quick treatment
- Simple procedure
- Proven results
- No recovery time
Medical Weight Loss Management
Available per Prescription only, Call us to set up a free consultation with one of our licensed professionals!
Drastic measures in changing dietary quantity, quality food and fluid intake, rightful allowed daily caloric intake, anti-oxidants & anti-aging herbs & vitamin supplements, and engaging in a reasonable exercise program
Most of us already know that and most of us who are health conscious and have already applied and followed these rules have experienced and seen some improvement in their body images and some drop in their weight scale arrow, however, for most of us these results were not satisfactory and fell short of our expectations, took a whole lot of time and relentless efforts which went on and on for years!
I personally made a decision to change my body physique and put it on the right track and started applying these measures in 1995 and during a span of 15 years between that year and 2010 I only lost 15 lbs. averaging 1 lb. per year!! Then I learned about the daily subcutaneous injections program which I was more than willing to try out and I am glad I did. In less than one year I lost 45 lbs. and still shooting to lose 5 more!!!
In my opinion it is an accelerated weight loss program which helps you in a few months to achieve weight loss goal what you and thousands of others cannot achieve without in years! We provide and direct you to self inject under your skin a substance which will increase your metabolism and induces mobilization and breaking down your large fat storage to support the huge new demand for energy required to maintain and meet your new healthy lifestyle. Many European and Canadian scientific research Institutions found that if this substance is given to men and to non-pregnant women it boost their metabolism, helps mobilize fat from adipose tissue deposits and traditional storage areas, of the belly, buttocks, thighs and shoulders to the liver to be broken down and helps their bodies to get rid of its access fat deposits via intestinal and urinary tracts.
Different forms of this product were developed and introduced to the consumers. It was first introduced as weekly Intramuscular shots but they were painful and required a health professional to administer the shots which was very inconvenient to many clients and most were dropped out after only a few weeks of starting their treatment regimens. Then some companies designed and introduced sub-lingual drops but most of these drops were swallowed and neutralized in their stomachs since most clients couldn’t keep them for the 5-10 minutes period required to have them properly absorbed rather than swallowed, therefore, poor or no results were achieved and these forms of the product were soon rapidly withdrawn from the US market. Then subcutaneous form of the product was finally successfully introduced though it is not an FDA approved yet however, it is a physician guided and prescribed program. A Medical Doctor will have to pre-screen clients to determine who is eligible and who is not by fully examining their medical record, vital signs, blood sugar level and their general health and well beings to ensure they are fit enough to do the recommended diet modification and engage in a light then moderate intensity exercise program and they are not pregnant, trying to get pregnant, have any sort or history of cancer, thyroid problems, history of strokes, ovarian cysts, certain allergies, and they are over 18 years of age.
Dropping BMI (Body Mass Index; Body Fat %) is linearly associated with lowering blood pressure, blood glucose levels; reducing resistance to insulin hence improving type II diabetes and lowering total blood Cholesterol and Low & Very Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL & VLDL) levels. It is balanced weight shedding from all problematic areas without altering or distorting your shape or figure. It is also rapid, as most clients lose an average of 20-30 pounds in each each 7 weeks course as most develop healthy eating habits and keep the weight off for good upon reaching their set goals. Other programs drag their patients through 6-12 months to lose the same amount of weight and most patients struggle to keep the weight they had lost off and regain it right back soon as they get off these programs.
Directs your body burn stored fat as your primary source of energy:
- Greatly diminish your hunger levels and helps control your appetite through regulating & maintaining a steady your blood sugar level hence resetting your hunger control mechanism to ensure making your achieved weight loss stays permanent
- Helps re-sculpture your body and protects your muscles so you don’t end up wasting your muscle mass along with your weight reduction
- Helps most patients drop their high blood pressure, reduces tolerance to insulin hence enhances blood sugar level control for those patients who have diabetes, reduces stress on the joints especially the knees and lower back bones/inter-vertebral disks hence greatly alleviates & helps prevent arthritis/joint deterioration, boosts energy level hence reversing feeling fatigue, improving sexual desire and performance, elevates mood & positive feelings and provides overall satisfaction with new body shape and permanent lifestyle change
Testosterone & Growth Hormone Replacement
The symptoms of low testosterone are sometimes obvious, but can be subtle. Testosterone levels decline naturally in men as they age over decades, and symptoms may appear slowly. Low testosterone symptoms include:
- Low sex drive (libido)
- Erectile dysfunction
- Fatigue and poor energy level
- Difficulty concentrating
- Low sense of well-being
Testosterone replacement therapy is available in several forms. All can improve testosterone levels, but we recommend Weekly Intramuscular Injections where Testosterone is injected directly into the muscles and your body slowly absorbs the testosterone into the bloodstream. Why not a simple Testosterone pill? Oral testosterone is available. However, some experts believe oral testosterone can have negative effects on the liver. Using other methods, such as skin patches, gels, orally disintegrating tablets, or injections, bypasses the liver and gets testosterone into the blood directly.
The common preparations of testosterone replacement have frequent, mild side effects. Testosterone side effects most often include rash, itching, or irritation at the site where the testosterone is applied. Testosterone replacement so far seems to be generally safe. Experts emphasize that the benefits and risks of testosterone therapy are unknown, because large clinical trials haven’t yet been done. There are a few health conditions that experts believe testosterone therapy can worsen:
- Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (BPH): The prostate grows naturally under the stimulation of testosterone. For many men, their prostates grow larger as they age, squeezing the tube carrying urine (urethra). The result is difficulty urinating. This condition, benign prostatic hypertrophy, can be made worse by testosterone therapy
- Prostate Cancer: Testosterone can stimulate prostate cancer to grow. Most experts recommend screening for prostate cancer before starting testosterone replacement. Men with prostate cancer or elevated prostate specific antigen (PSA) should probably avoid testosterone treatment.
- Sleep Apnea: This condition can be worsened by testosterone replacement. It may be difficult for a man to detect this himself, but his sleeping partner can often tell. A sleep study (polysomnography) may be needed to make the diagnosis
- Erythrocytosis (high blood counts): Testosterone supplements increase the red blood cell count — possibly making blood “thicker” and perhaps more prone to clotting. Men with the highest blood cell counts may be at greater risk for health problems with testosterone therapy. Simple blood tests can track your red blood cell count
- Congestive Heart Failure: Men with congestive heart failure should usually not take testosterone replacement, as it can worsen the condition
It will be years before large clinical trials bring any answers on the long-term benefits and risks of testosterone therapy. As with any medicine, the decision on whether the possible benefits outweigh any risks is up to you and your doctor.
Isn’t taking testosterone replacement basically the same as taking steroids, like so many disgraced pro athletes? It’s true that anabolic steroids used by some bodybuilders and athletes contain testosterone or chemicals that act like testosterone. The difference is that doses used in testosterone replacement only achieve physiologic (natural) levels of hormone in the blood. The testosterone forms some athletes use illegally are in much higher doses, and often combined (“stacked”) with other substances that boost the overall muscle-building (anabolic) effect
Recommended Blood Tests to establish a baseline before starting and to monitor levels throughout the program:
- Testosterone level (Normal laboratory values in males is 300-1000ng/dL)
- PSA level
- Red blood cell count, Hemoglobin / Hematocrit, Serum Cholesterol may increase during androgen therapy
- HCG has been known to stimulate the endogenous testicular production of Testosterone, therefore, placing patients on lower doses of HCG shots twice a week is recommended during Testosterone or Human Growth Hormone (HGH) replacement programs to preserve the health and normal function of the male sex gonads and prevent or reduce the risk or testicular atrophy and low sperm counts.
Some patients may experience difficulties in urination, excessive sexual stimulation and low sperm count (Oligospermia) after prolonged administration or excessive dosage. If any of these side effects appear, the shots should be stopped or the dose should be reduced or if the program is restarted after a break, a lower dosage should be utilized. Patients should report any of the following: Nausea, Vomiting, Changes in skin color, Ankle Swelling, Frequent or Persistent Erections
For more information please visit: http://men.webmd.com/testosterone-replacement-therapy and http://www.drugs.com/pro/testosterone.html
Human Growth Hormone (HGH) & Sermorelin
Similar to or even superior to testosterone replacement therapy, many aging men with low GH blood levels report improved energy levels, sex drive, and mood after HGH treatment. Human Growth hormone (HGH) or what is so called the “Master Hormone” is a peptide hormone that stimulates growth, cell reproduction and regeneration in humans. Growth hormone is used as a prescription drug in medicine to treat children’s growth disorders and adult growth hormone deficiency. In the United States, it is only available legally from pharmacies, by prescription from a doctor. In recent years in the United States, some doctors have started to prescribe growth hormone in GH-deficient older patients (but not on healthy people) to increase vitality. While legal, the efficacy and safety of this use for HGH has not been tested in a clinical trial. At this time, HGH is still considered a very complex hormone, and many of its functions are still unknown.
In its role as an anabolic agent, HGH has been abused by competitors in sports since the 1970s, and it has been banned by the IOC and NCAA Traditional urine analysis could not detect doping with HGH, so the ban was unenforceable until the early 2000s when blood tests that could distinguish between natural and artificial HGH were starting to be developed. Blood tests conducted by WADA at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece targeted primarily HGH. This use for the drug is not approved by FDA.
GH peptides are released by Neurosecretory nuclei of the hypothalamus Some of the stimulators of HGH secretion include:
- Sex hormones; increased androgen secretion during puberty (in males from testis and in females from adrenal cortex) and estrogen, low blood sugar level, deep sleep, fasting and vigorous exercise
Whereas some of the Inhibitors of GH secretion include:
- Circulating concentrations of GH by negative feedback on the pituitary and hypothalamus, high blood sugar level, glucocorticoids and dihydrotestosterone
HGH is synthesized and secreted from the anterior pituitary gland mostly an hour after onset of sleep (during Non-REM sleep) and a number of factors are known to affect HGH secretion, such as age, gender, diet, exercise, stress, and other hormones. Effects of growth hormone on the tissues of the body can generally be described as anabolic (building up). In addition to increasing height in children and adolescents, growth hormone has many other effects on the body to include:
- Increases Calcium retention, strengthens and increases the Mineralization of Bones
- Increases Muscle Mass, increases Protein Synthesis and stimulates the growth of all internal organs
- Promotes Lipolysis
- Reduces liver uptake of glucose and Promotes Gluconeogenesis in the liver
- Contributes to the maintenance and function of Pancreatic Islets
- Stimulates the Immune System
- 5% increase in fat with each decade of life.
- Decreases in muscle strength, skin thickness, bone density, physical endurance, mental ability, and immune defenses.
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Muscle and organ atrophy
Benefits Suggested in Some Published Studies Include:
- 15% average decrease in fat.
- 8% average increase in muscle and lean body structures.
- Improved skin texture resulting in a more youthful appearance.
- Fewer skin wrinkles.
- Increased bone density, reversal of osteoporosis.
- Faster healing of any type of injury, fracture, or wound.
- Greatly enhanced immunity and resistance to infection.
- Enhanced brain function, retention of intellect with aging.
- Improvement in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s syndromes.
- Improved sex drive.
- Improved fertility, sperm production, and ovulation.
- Improvement in overall physical and mental well being.
- Improvement in sleep disorders, better quality of sleep.
- Improved exercise tolerance.
- Improved mineral balance.
- Improved mood, with less depression and fatigue.
- Improved heart and kidney function.
Many hormones including DHEA and melatonin can hinder some of the effects of aging, but clinical studies show that HGH reaches far beyond any of these. Not only does growth hormone have the ability to prevent physical aging, but it has been demonstrated that it can dramatically reverse many of its symptoms:
- Burning Fat
HGH revs up the metabolism to former highs, selectively reducing the abdomen, hips, waist and thighs while at the same increasing muscle mass. In many cases, people “look like they’ve shed years away along with the fat they’ve loss.”
- Skin, Hair and Nails
Antioxidants & even other hormone treatments can be a great help in maintaining a youthful appearance, but only HGH can take a decade or so off your face. Skin regains thickness, becomes more elastic and hydrated and people start looking visibly younger, usually within a few weeks. Not only do the fine lines vanish and deeper wrinkles recede, the face can actually undergo a change of contour. HGH appears to have a tonic effect on hair. In some clinical tests 38% reported new hair growth, coming in faster and thicker even in its natural color. Nails are also strengthened & cellulite reduced
- HGH and Sex
As a powerful aphrodisiac, HGH restores sexual potency and sexuality in men. Many of the women who use it also report increased libido, heightened pleasure and the equivalent of greater potency in men, which for the female is multiple orgasms. It also helps to alleviate menstrual and post-menopausal symptoms, and eliminate vaginal dryness. According to many of the physicians who use Growth Hormone in their practice, the sexual changes are striking, effecting both men and women
- Exercise and Body Building
Some medical studies have proven that positive gains occur only while Growth Hormone is being secreted. HGH significantly increases the effects of exercise and muscle building, including energy, muscle strength, stamina and endurance
- Energy, Mood and Creativity
HGH can not only reinvigorate the mind, it can also reverse the attitudes, outlook and expectations associated with aging. It increases concentration and thinking power, has an anti-depressive action on the brain, and can have a profound effect in increasing energy and a sense of well-being
- Brain Function
The brain and nervous system are made up of cells called neurons. And though they are permanent and never re-grow, HGH can stimulate their repair and rejuvenation. It also affects the proteins produced in the brain for storing our memories. Therefore, learning, memory and intelligence all depend on adequate supplies of Growth Hormone
- Cell Protection
Antioxidants such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E, etc., can remove oxygen free radicals and keep the Protease’s (destructive enzymes that cause cell damage) from becoming active. But Growth Hormone can act on the Protease’s directly. It activates a cellular defense force called protease inhibitors, which prevent free radicals from doing their deadly work. The latest European research shows that Growth Hormone can not only further what antioxidants do, but it can also do what anti-oxidants cannot. It can greatly help reverse symptoms which include loss of muscle and an increase of fat, decreased physical mobility and energy levels, diminished healing ability, a greater risk of cardiovascular disease and lower life expectancy. In other-words, the symptoms of the disease called Aging!
To establish a baseline before starting and to monitor levels throughout the program:
- Somatomedin C (IGF-1)
- PSA level
- Thyroid Hormones (TSH, Free T3 & Free T4)
- Red blood cell count, Hemoglobin/Hematocrit
- Lipid Panel
- Any type of Cancer
- If you have Diabetes
- Pregnant women, trying to get Pregnant or Breast Feeding
- If you have an allergic reaction to Somatropin, Glycerin, Benzyl Alcohol